Friday, July 27, 2012

Travel Entry June 4, 2012 Or Let’s shear us some sheep!

It is the first day of driving. I’m not comfortable with leaving our baggage in front of our hotel room door. That is an odd request. D was weird this morning. Snappish… I kept my mouth shut for the most part. Except when D was obviously wrong about stuff.

D didn’t sit with me on the bus – sat behind me. It’s both good and bad. Good because we are getting lots of pictures and I get the seat to myself. Bad because there is no one to talk to. We went to St. Andrews, which is not the oldest golf course, but I got dad a present and took some pictures. Then we walked up to the ruined castle at the end of the town (end is literal as just past is the cliffs into the North Sea.) Back on the bus for a ride into Pithlochy (spelling) for lunch, yes, D was still being a pooh pooh head, then to Blair Castle, which was interesting. I guess they do student exchanges and our castle guides were two of them. The gentleman we had was from Poland and he would be in Scotland for 7 years – wow!

The grounds were amazing with the tall firs – one was ~63.8M tall. Wow! There was a tree over a century old grown from a seed from what is now a 2000 year old tree from the Redwood Forest in California.

Then it was back to the bus to a highland sheepdog presentation. It was funny! The sheep decided not to cooperate and the ‘lazy’ dog let them go… teehee. So Niall had to go get the sheep with the rest of the dogs. Then I helped hand shear a sheep – he said I was the best he had all day. Whee. Then we played with 10 week old puppies. I reached in first to grab one. Teehee. Some people fed lambs, but I was too busy with the puppies. Even, while the demonstration was on, ‘Rob’, one of the dogs (he was named after our guide) sidled up to me for petting.

Then to the hotel for supper – delish! The haggis this time was not as yummy or gamey. Interesting. I had a great conversation with Bronwyn and John. What a lovely couple and story.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home