Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Intrinsic snub

I was reading a friend's blog and he referred to this site which is about the Geek traits. It was very interesting and I can see that occassionally, I suffer a bit from #5, the intrinsic snub. I have recently been feeling this more lately as I have been invited to many events, but not friends and visa versa. On Saturday, at our bbq, a friend mentioned that they had been invited to the Social Event of the Season (honestly, we call it that). I had not been invited yet and my first gut instinct was 'what did I do to miss out on an invite?' When we ran into the friends hosting the Event on Sunday, they invited other people in front of us and again, gut instinct. I held back though and waited a bit and the conversation eventually turned to the party and they mentioned that they had forgotten some people and I piped in and the invite was there (as desired). It wasn't a snub at all, but as the site says "friends do everything together" and so intrinsically, I felt snubbed cause I hadn't been invited. But it does work the other way as well, cause I have felt upset for a friend when I realize that they have not been invited to an event. Like the wedding on Sunday, D and I were invited, but our friend J was not and I didn't know or even think that she wouldn't be. Here I am talking about it and she was 'well, maybe I'll see you at the dance part.' I felt horrible cause she wasn't invited despite us all being friends. Anyway, the site is interesting in a thought-provoking way.

The bbq went fairly well, only half, if that, showed and the wasps came uninvited so half of the people were indoors and half outside. It was fun, but not enough food was eaten and by 9, all but our two best friends were gone. I have leftovers galore. Did I mention that no one goes away from my parties hungry? Just part of my upbringing.

The wedding on Sunday was... interesting. I cannot really share my thoughts on it. Just because currently no one I know reads my blog, they may find it and read it in the future. I'll say this, it was interesting and the food was good, though the desserts were either chocolate or had strawberries on it, both of which I know for sure I am allergic too and I believe a few others have preferences against as well. The one thing I will mention is that while I may not know everything when it comes to etiquette, I do know that if the groom and bride are thanking everyone, they shouldn't forget the wedding party, especially after what the groomsmen and bridesmaid have been put through. And if the bride is talking about how wonderful her new in-laws and grandmother-in-law are and how they welcomed her into the family, then perhaps she shouldn't forget to say something about the stepson she's now mom to, even if she isn't fond of him. That upset me more than anything, I believe. She just ignored him and the groom said nothing. Oh well. What I can also say is that the table I was at, while missing half of the people, was the most fun during dinner and we laughed alot.

This coming weekend was supposed to be relaxing and free of plans, but we now have the Social Event of the Season and next week, I have plans to get together with colleagues from my previous job, which is always fun. I believe that Cheesecake Cafe is soon going to know me by name, cause I think I have been there every two weeks since it opened. Heehee. Part of me is looking forward to September which should be slower, part of me is happy with all that is going on.

I am off to make supper. Not a clue what I am eating though. I am sure I will think of something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home