Wednesday, August 01, 2012

A Taste of Edmonton

For last few years, I have been attending A Taste of Edmonton for lunch each work day. Yes, this is one of the perks of working downtown. At the request of a friend, I rated the food I ate on a scale of 1 to Beam Me Up Scotty (i.e. 10). Here were my thoughts:


Day 1 - I highly recommend the Maple Bacon Poutine – wow is that delish! I think the maple is in the gravy. Num, num! Unfortunately, the Mac Scone Sundae has either strawberries or chocolate with it, so I couldn’t try that. So instead I had the white cream horn from Italian Bakery, which is as expected, very yummy! I would say Poutine at 8.5 and cream horn at 7.

I am holding out the beam me up Scottie yet… I think there are some Mexican options out there that might be higher… ;) Oh, and the tikka masala… and the pear pie… so many things to try!

Oh, don’t forget the Kraft truck. The waffle with peanut butter and marshmallow fluff was delicious! And free!

Day 2 - Today I had the burrito norento – that was a 9. It had the perfect spicy bit and the rice was good! Then I had the vegetable tempura, which is also a 9. This is a yearly favorite and you get so much for 4 tickets!

Day 3 - Today was the Rioja Braised Chorizo with Spanish Bean Salad – OMG – that’s a 9.5. So nummy!
I also had the Pear Pie with whip cream and caramel sauce – I would give it an 8. It was very tasty and yet light.

Day 4 - Teehee… too many choices, that is the problem… and so many that look so good… I have 5 items left to try. For sure I want the Roti Canai, the Jerk chicken and the Chicken Tikka. Other possibilities are the Taco al Pastor and the Calzone.

I did have the tandoori chicken samosa – it was good. A solid 8… very tasty, not too spicy.
I also had the smoked turkey gumbo. That was an 8.5. Good spicy, nice thick base, good smoked meat.

Day 5 - Today was a small day. I had leftover hot dogs I had to eat, so I just got one item and I had the chicken tikka with garlic naan. It was very tasty, the garlic naan was fresh, though I found we did not get as much as we did last year, so for that reason I am only giving them a 7.5.

Day 6 - Sorry – was going to send you an email yesterday afternoon, but got pulled in a few different directions and completely forgot until I was closing my computer to go home. Yesterday I had the spicy chicken which was okay – only a 7 – lots of food for the price, it was tasty, but they seemed to rely on red pepper flakes for heat and so it really wasn’t all that hot to me. I also had the Roti Canai which again was okay – it’s just pieces of tortilla/naan/pita type bread with some spicy sauce. I would give it a 5 – it was okay, but not really worth it.

Day 7 - Today is the last day and I have 11 tickets left. Oh the choices…
I had the mango lassi – which was tasty, I’ll give it an 8
And the Chick pea Salad – this was very tasty, though there was a lot of dressing at the bottom and not so much on top, so a bit of an unbalance. Overall, a 7.5
Lastly, I had the Jamaican beef pattie – this was good! Very taste, good spices, decent size. I give this an 8.5.

So unfortunately no beam me up Scotties this year, but some decent food. Thankfully, I had nothing gross. ;)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home