Thursday, August 02, 2012

Travel Journal Entry June 7, 2012 Or The days blur together and I forget to write

We drove along the coast – Tongue – coast and hill

Falls of Shin (Editor’s note: this is a beautiful area, but honestly my first thought was that we call these rapids in Canada, not falls. My second thought was these bleepin’ midges better get out of my face. Those are mean suckers – they went straight for my face, which considering I was taking pictures was not exactly appreciated.)

Oykel Bridge in Ross-shire which was made from Hadrian’s Wall. (Editor’s note: This was a fascinating tale about a General who used the material from Hadrian’s Wall to make roads and bridges during the war. What was funny was our guide betting the driver that he could show us Hadrian’s Wall, which the driver was convinced could not happen since we were in northern Scotland and the Wall is in northern England. Then he explained about the general as we paused by this bridge. So we got to check another thing off our list even though technically we weren’t anywhere hear the original wall. Teehee.)


Mountains – old rock to the rick, Thunder thing new rock to the left. Mountains along fault line – Knockan Crag (Editor’s note: A beautiful area showing how Scotland’s landscape was formed. Despite being a science student, I did not do any research on the geography before we left, so I learned tons. I did not realize that Scotland was along 2 tectonic plates and that much of it is formed from lava. Another fascinating reason to visit.)

Isle of Skye- we drove past on the way to Eilean Donan Castle (Editor’s note: I was not here for this castle, but I did get a fantastic picture of a rather gleeful D taking pictures of this castle.)

Supper was at Tonga Gate (Editor’s note – we were exhausted this day and we had a tour coming up, so sadly I did not write down what we ate or if I did – I am not sure where I wrote it because it is not in my journal.)

After supper we did the Skye tour. (Editor’s note: This was a fascinating tour. The guides here are fantastic with the weaving of fact with story and you are entertained at the same time you are learning. We took the bus on this tour and the driver had to do a hair pin curve. While that wasn’t the scariest moment on the bus, it was rather impressive. I swear we could have put our hand just outside the front window and touched the cliff going up and those at the back were hanging over the cliff going down. Skye is a beautiful place to visit – picturesque and quant.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home