Friday, September 09, 2005

And the award for Most Oblivious goes to…

Have you ever had a time when it seemed like everyone was out of sync with you and you just floundered in conversations and understanding? That has been me recently with a friend. She talks and I get more confused. It is like I am missing a foundation for the conversation and I am expected to just know what is going on. Today, I had an A-HA moment. Suddenly, much of what she has been saying starts to make sense. Okay, some of it makes more sense. But the problem lies in that now that she thinks I know all about the reasoning behind the conversation, she expects me to have an idea of what I think about it. I am just starting to understand what she has been saying and honestly, it is really far off from what I was thinking. I do need time to process and decide if I have an opinion on it.

My favorite line is from Beauty and the Beast (yes, the Disney one) where Gaston says, “I’ve been thinking” and his buddy replies, “A dangerous pastime” and Gaston replies, “I know.” That is so apt a description. I think about everything. What if is my favorite pastime sometimes. However despite how anal I am, there are things, especially fun and/or sexual things, where I tend to go with the moment. It is based on how I feel at the time it is happening. I can’t, no, I don’t want to over-think then because that often doesn’t lead to fun. That leads to me being safe and boring and mostly anal. The way most people see me. Heehee. There are times when I want to do the bad things. I want to push the line of societal rules to the edge and see what happens. Sometimes, what happens is sooo interesting. Thinking takes the edge out of it and you start what if'ing and thinking about consequences instead of just going with flow.

At work, a lot of my co-workers just see me as capable and so good at what I do. Even with friends, I have a side that doesn’t show. I try to portray a confident, friendly, positive and go to person. I actually had a supervisor ask me if I was so positive at home too. And when I said 'sometimes', she didn’t believe me. She honestly thought I was always positive. Puhlease. I have hidden facets, secrets, desires that no one knows about. I slip into the ‘depths of despair’ sometimes. Sometimes, it takes a while to get out. And goodness knows, my head is usually in the gutter. I like it there. Hee hee.

Ah, enough self-reflection. How about a recipe?

My favorite rice mixture – kinda Spanish rice, in a cheap way.

5 handfuls of rice (regular, not the minute rice)
1 med onion, diced
1 package long noodle soup (aka ichiban)
1-2 cans of vegetables (I usually use corn, beans or peas)
1 T oil
1 bouillon cube or onion soup mix
water as needed

Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add rice and onion. Stir often until onion is transparent and rice is brownish. Crush the package of long noodle soup and add to the rice. Add canned vegetables, long noodle soup mix, onion soup mix and ½ can of water. Cover. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I love this meal. It is so easy and not really time consuming. I usually serve with soy sauce and some grilled meat. Though I imagine you can add diced, cooked meat into the pan before simmering and then have a one pot meal.

Okay, back to me, I think the problem with my friend is I know what I think about it and it doesn't go with what she wants. So I would rather just not say anything and let things die down. I don't know where she got the idea that I would agree with what she is thinking. I guess part of me thinks that if she knew me as well as she thinks, she would know my answer already. And maybe she does, but she's hoping this time will be different. It won't. I learned that lesson a long time ago.

Laundry is calling, well, the dryer is making that done noise. So I must run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home