Sunday, April 17, 2011

I’m inclined to believe the burden of knowledge is more compelling than the weight of ignorance. - CE Murphy

What a productive weekend. I got everything done on my list and more. Despite the constant back pain, the headaches, and the desire to venture outside, I managed to get things done and even relax. I did take a bath Friday night and went to bed early. That was nice. Then Saturday, I watch Easy A (I am totally buying this movie – what an homage to John Hughes) before getting settled into so many little things around the house and then settled down with updating my book list – both have and wants. Saturday night, D and I stopped by a family friend’s retirement party. We were a little late, but in actuality, it was perfect timing. The honoree was just a bit into her speech and we were provided dinner and dessert and then it was off (before Karaoke started) to Save On for groceries and home to put the fresh bedding on and sleep on fresh sheets. Squeee!!! Sunday, I started the day watching Eat Pray Love, which I enjoyed. It was not as good as the book, but it was long enough since I read the book that I was able to not pick it apart and just enjoy it. My critique would be that the book resonated emotionally with me and the movie tried a couple of times, but it just couldn’t get deep enough, couldn’t get past the hollywoodism. Then it was on to removing the light in the office and starting the taping and mudding. After a few hours of that, it was a yummy dinner of chicken kiev, jasmine rice, and peas. Mmmmmm… lovely goodness. Then off to London Drugs for shopping and home to do finances and taxes, both of which did not rob me of all of my hard earned money. So overall, a good weekend. I wish we could have spent a bit more time with friends, but everyone seemed busy this weekend. And next weekend is Easter, so yay – long weekend! Sleep – I love sleep. Heehee.

And this week should be so much better than last – Fave coworker is back! Little boss is away. Deadlines are over. We can’t play with our main system on Monday. There is a retirement party on Thursday. I am out for dinner on Tuesday and then book shopping! And it is a short week. Can it get any better?!? I hope so! Teehee.

I finished CE Murphy’s book – The Pretender’s Crown. Wow! I love this writer for the Retriever series and picked this one up because it looked intriguing. It is not a quick book to read – it took me a week to read in my usual fashion, but I don’t mind. Honestly, it is one of those books that you put down occasionally, not because you are tired of reading, but because you want time to absorb the last scene. It is a fascinating two book series (supposedly more may come about in the future) with political intrigue, sex, passion, self-discovery, betrayal, and at the heart, human courage and love. Of course, after a book like that, it is time for Katie MacAlister – something fun, with a great plot, witty dialogue, and lightness. Some books can be quite heavy and while Katie is great at plot, she makes it a fun read.

Interesting thoughts I had this weekend - Save On is laid out in such a way that I rarely walk through the bakery section or even notice it aside from bread/buns. I was trying to figure out where to go for groceries this weekend and as soon as I thought of Safeway, I knew I would be in the bakery section hoping for croissant donuts and Mountain Dew. If I went to Sobey's, I would be in the bakery section for blueberry scones and a mini cream pie (coconut or banana - does it really matter?!?). But when I thought of Save On, my head jumped around from veggies to the dairy section and I wasn't tempted by anything else. While this is probably bad news for Save On, it made me happy to not have to tempt myself. Waiting until D was with me is also another coping measure since I tend to give in to temptation more when I am alone. When I am with others, I prefer to encourage them to give in. Teehee.

Anyway, I should finish getting ready for bed. I am sure I have lots more to talk about, but perhaps another day. I am going to wrap myself in this good mood and cuddle into dreamland.

Labels: , ,