Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Wedding of the Year

This weekend has been a whirlwind of activity getting reading for A&J’s wedding. Friday was the pre-wedding party where there was much gilabi, conversation and good times. I love that J’s Mom, the nationally famous Betty of the Betty Cup, is cool enough that we did not have to watch ourselves too much in front of her. (Though I did see her shake her head at us a few times.) I got Mehndi done on the backs of my hands (in honor of the contemporary Hindu wedding). V did it free hand and despite her lamentations that she wasn’t any good anymore, I love the work she did on each of my hands. Both hands are different and they very much represent different sides of me, so thanks V. Didn’t know you knew me so well. Heehee. The only down side was J had a horrible reaction to the mehndi which forced her not to be able to finish her hands in the traditional way.

Saturday day was spent with milady shopping for those last minute gifts for A&J. There were some people who were upset because while everyone gave money, D and I also included real tangible gifts. Now those that know me know 2 things: 1) It is against my upbringing to feel comfortable giving just a gift certificate or money. I must include something else to go with it. Or preferably, I want to get an awesome gift and forget about the certificates/money. 2) It is also in my upbringing that wedding gifts must also include something…’naughty’ in them. My mother started this when I was growing up with including unlabeled gifts that had something very sexual (often mom made lingerie resembling animals) for the intended couple. Ask L&M who got the g-string for him that was a horse’s head and when you pressed it, it actually neighed.

So needless to say milady and I visited a couple sex shops to find just what I wanted to buy. And really, both brides should be happy that I stayed very conservative for my presents.

The bonus to shopping is it also let me spend time with milady and we got to catch up and talk about what is new in our lives. Girl time is always a good thing.

The wedding that night was as awesome as could be expected or even better. The brides were utterly stunning in their saris – one red and one blue, very fire and water or yin and yang if you will. Everyone was looking quite beautiful and joyous. Sous chef Doo and Chef Schmee did awesome jobs prepping the food – I ate sushi for the first time and nummy! And there were samosas and salad and stuffed tomatoes and some bread thing (puri or paratha or something). I had a little of everything except the stuffed tomatoes and went back for seconds and thirds of the sushi and the salad. It was all vegetarian, homemade and so delicious. For dessert, there was more gilabi and rice pudding, which was the wedding cake, so to speak.

Conversation was flowing and I had a chance to speak with everyone except Schmee’s SO, Jr who was taking pics and J’s daughter. We partied and danced and talked and it was soooo much fun. S and I ended up sitting in the dining room just talking and were soon joined by others who were also tired of being mosquito food and we eventually clued in to close the curtains which began a whole new fun of opening and closing the curtain as people came through, much to the surprise of others who did not see me pull the cords to move the curtains. Heehee. D was the only one who diva’d me and said he preferred to make an entrance and so I stopped moving the curtains for him.

At 11:45, A&J danced a couple of songs and the JP showed up and we shuffled to the seating for the ceremony. The ceremony itself was as thoroughly intimate as desired by the brides. With the crackling fire and the water falling into the pond, it was a beautiful natural setting where the couples said their words of devotion to each other in front of close friends and family. While I found it hard to hear the JP, I could hear A&J say their words to each other and it was just…perfect.

A released us after the ceremony and while a few left, it took until after 1 for everyone to leave. Poor I&V- up way past their bedtime. I kept hinting at A to open the two gifts they received that were not just envelopes. Knowing what I got them, it was better received in front of an audience. A finally gave in and they stood on the deck opening the gifts. Ahhhh, poor A.

They opened the card, which was appropriately a velvet Elvis card. J loved it and between her and Betty managed to read the writing inside. A started to open the box, which as is habit, was nicely wrapped with lots of tape. The box was the box for the indoor grill they gave us and A made a comment about re-gifting, but smartly continued to open. She pulled out the bag, which perfectly fit between the Styrofoam bits and opened what was in the bag. First out the massage oil. A gets a little pink. Next the French massage spinner to go with the oil… A gets a little red. Then a Romance to Go set…for the honeymoon. A is now promising Betty that they will not bring this to PEI and swearing that she doesn’t know how to use it. Betty promised to tell A how to do so. A is now quite red and I am receiving The look and a promise that revenge will be taken. Inside the box is an additional envelope with our very appropriate gift of a Get out of PEI Free card (see previous post on PEI monopoly for the back story of that). Much hilarity and heckling happens. Then they read the IOU (cause the indoor grill is still on order, and we did say to them awhile ago that we would get them an indoor grill for their wedding). Now, when I wrote the message, I just let things come out as they do… which means I should have known it would should very sexual. And after the previous gifts and comments, the IOU sounded very dirty. Then Betty encouraged A to read the card as inside was an additional message of how they should make sure not to suffocate A while sharing their wedding night because pillows are a killer. A doesn’t read the whole thing aloud, but The look got deadlier and A became more and more speechless. (This was also related to another joke we had a few weeks back since some of the wedding party is staying at the house with A&J and supposedly A is a little vocal). All in all, it was received well. I got thumbs up from J. A is still promising revenge. Heehee.

The other gift they received was a beautiful book on Indian architecture and A made the comment that she hoped it didn’t include the Kama Sutra temple, which J just happened to open the book to and showed A that yes, it was included. By the end of the gift opening, A was as red as the sari J was wearing and hardly speaking. The rest of us were laughing aloud and heckling A with good natured affection.

Several people helped clean up a bit, much to I&V’s consternation. Then we bid adieu and went home to crash. It was fabulous meeting other friends of A&J’s as well as their family. I had a great time and I am so glad that I was permitted to be a part of this very intimate and celebratory time. Thank you A&J. I wish you a wonderful wedded life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Taryn said...

Heehee hee heehee. But I heard that you enjoyed the items very much and there is no confusion anymore on what to do with it all. :)

6:02 pm, July 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home