Sunday, August 06, 2006

Did you know?

An eraser is made of rubber, pumice, vegetable oil and sulfur. As D says, this explains why they smell so bad.

Had a wonderful day today. Went to a housewarming for L&M. Lots of people showed - friends, coworkers and family. It was a nice mix and there was lots of interesting conversation and of course lots of food. It was nice to see D&B and family. I haven’t seen D’s other half and family in a long time. I had missed them and it was nice to finally reconnect and see what is up. And of course, see how the kids have grown. I’ve known D for so many years, the kids are like family to me, and sometimes, you just want to know how they are and see them for yourself. And P&B made it as well. B is doing better – she has been quite ill the last little while. It is nice to see her up and she stayed for quite a while considering how tired she still is. Oh and darling L– the recipe is:

My infamous Butterscotch Squares
1 package of butterscotch chips (brand name tastes better and melts faster)
1 package of mini marshmallows (I think 300-400g bag – not fruit flavored- ick!)
1/2 Cup butter/margarine
1 Cup peanut butter (I like crunchy as it adds another texture)
2 Cups Rice Krispies (can be brand name or not – at Christmas, I use the colored ones)

Put chips, peanut butter and margarine into microwave safe bowl. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring at half way mark. When done, remove from microwave, stir again and let cool. It should be cool enough to put your pinky finger in without feeling like you are going to burn it. When cool, add rice krispies and marshmallows and stir. Put in a lightly greased pan (I use a cookie sheet that has sides) and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.

Also tastes absolutely great frozen (I prefer them frozen as they melt in your mouth – YUM!) Note original recipe calls for 2 cups of marshmallows and 1 cup of rice krispies. However, because of the sweetness of the square, I find my version tastes as great but is not as fattening.

Yesterday was pretty good though everything just seemed to run longer than expected. Went shopping with milady – got some Halloween decorations – gotta love Dollarama. I also hit AMA to get a new Alberta map, as my new position requires me to do some traveling. When I asked if they have maps of the smaller towns like Cold Lake and Vegreville, she said no, but I could probably pick them up from the info booth in those towns. I just shook my head, said thanks and walked away, letting her return to her oh so important reading on the computer (I had so rudely interrupted her by standing at the wait here sign). I mean, really, if I don’t have a map of the town, how do you expect me to find the info booth? And if it is not open when I go, what do I do then? Thank goodness for the Internet. I hopefully should be able to get the maps online. But really – a little service please, especially since I pay a lot to be a member each year.

Anyway, got home a little later than expected only to discover that D had come home early and was waiting. We watched Four Brothers (actually a pretty decent movie) after supper (which I cooked), then went for a walk, then watched Must Love Dogs (also a good movie) and then got ready for bed. And I would have been in bed around 1 at the latest, IF I hadn’t been near the end of my book so I stayed up to finish it. At 2, I rolled into bed (ugh!) and then because I had completely forgotten to make the squares for the housewarming(despite reminding myself like 4 times Saturday), I was awake early knowing I had to make them with enough time to be refrigerated for a while before we went over. Also knowing that I wanted to wash dishes and do recycling and empty the dishwasher and put away my clean clothes. Needless to say, I am exhausted right now and thinking of retiring to bed at 10 pm and I am ever thankful that tomorrow is a holiday. I can sleep in tomorrow too. Yeah! And…I have no immediate chores to do for tomorrow. My kitchen looks wonderful and the place is tidy.

And for my dear YaYas – while it may have sounded like I didn’t understand when we were discussing mental state and cleanliness of the house – I do totally understand. If my house is messy, it is probably because my head is messy. And when I tidy/clean my house, I feel so much better because it is clean. However, you do have to choose sometimes what your priorities are and sometimes, the house just has to get messy, so you can get other things fixed/done/settled. And that is what I was trying to say – or better put
At the worst, a house unkept cannot be so distressing as a life unlived.” Rose Macaulay

Anyway, I think I will retire to bed. See if I can get some of that much needed sleep. There is so much to do and only so many hours to procrastinate. Heehee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home