Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Here’s my rant…

And if you decide to take it personally, that would be of concern to you, because a rant is just a rant… and it means nothing personally to anyone.

I am a hypocrite. I admit - I have double standards. And while most might not know there is a standard, they usually know if they haven’t reached it. But don’t think that the standard is all that high. Nooo. The really high standard, that pedestal I put people on, is reserved…for ME. That’s right. The highest set of standards is demanded and expected of me…by me.

Most of my friends will tell you that I am a fountain of information. And I love to share it. And I have advice up the yin yang. It is good advice. It would better advice if I could follow it myself. I kick my arse every chance I get (and yes, I can reach). I just don’t listen. Or I allow myself to get lost in the fact that I want/need to see all sides before I make a decision.

So what does this have to do with anything? Well, you see, I appreciate it when my friends listen to my advice. I don’t expect them to take it, but please, listen. And maybe to someone out there, my advice stinks; it’s bullshit. I don’t know. It may not work for everyone. Totally possible. But I like to think my advice is based on reality. Not necessarily society accepted, but reality nonetheless. So when I hear someone say that they are no longer doing something because of such and such reason and the reason is beyond…I don’t how to describe it other than just… ridiculous. They have other reasons and some of those reasons are feasible. But the main reason is…yeah, just… I hate to use the S word, but the reasons sometimes are just stupid. And then you hear that it was told to them by so-and-so, or by some Dr. somethingsomething. It really peeves me. There is a part of me that stops…immediately… and looks stunned that someone could possibly believe that. It’s like the person who says they can lose weight just by eating hordes of bacon and steak. Sure – perhaps you can – but would you be healthy? Or those that believe that jogging is fun? Sure – maybe – to someone masochistic.

Everyone has their own beliefs and their own measuring system for believability. I just think that before you accept what someone says is Truth, especially when it goes against pretty much everything natural in the world, think. Research. Base the decision on your findings and not what someone suggests out of the blue. Look at all sides and really use your common sense. It’s what I would hope you do when I give advice.

And can someone tell Harper to shut up? I think the Israel and Lebanon war is a horrible thing. But unless there is something we can actually do, don’t pick a side and - just shut up! All I see is him being one of surrounding kids at a school yard fight- just egging on cause he can. Or really, he is egging on, because the ‘cool kid’ (Bush) is there and egging the fight on, and thus he needs to do so too. Great – we helped people leave a war torn country. There are some national security issues happening there, but regardless, we did something productive. But what does he get out of picking sides? I would be peeved to come to Canada after my country is invaded, and hear the leader say that the invaders are right, are justified in what they’re doing. How is anyone justified in killing civilians? In killing people who are just trying to live a life with a little bit of love and happiness? I am sorry, but I can’t buy into that propaganda. How is this different than someone walking into some office and shooting a bunch of people, cause maybe one person did something the shooter didn’t like? Would we say the shooter is justified because he was denied something? I am not saying that Israel didn’t have its reasons. And I am not saying that there are not people in Lebanon that were causing problems. But can Israel honestly say that each person they killed was someone who was directly involved in the situation? Each child, each woman, each man that have now died are someone directly involved in making Israel justified to kill them?

Okay. So that was my rant for now. Those were the things bothering me the most.

Oh, and supposedly someone in my office believes that my resume is too wordy. Yeah – whatever! It has assisted me in getting where I am now. And her suggestion that a resume should only be 1 page – that’s great, if you haven’t had a lot of jobs, or done a lot of different things. I couldn’t imagine my resume being 1 page. What would be on it? Oy! Anyway, that came up because I am helping someone write a resume for a new position. He likes my resume anyway, so we did a combination of a smaller resume and a more complete resume. It looks pretty good.

Nothing else is really happening. I had fresh yellow beans from my garden this week. Yum! So glad my mother suggested planting beans.

I have just been organizing little areas here and there. The office is mostly clean. The living room is tidy – really tidy – but I still want to change it around. The basement is looking good and I do feel better knowing that the sump pump works (and won’t burn down the house).

I should go decide on supper. Making just for me today. Not a clue what to eat. Heehee.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Ranting is gooood

9:21 am, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Taryn said...

anonymous jones - yes, I do feel better now. Sometimes you just have to let it all out. :) It's true. They are being bullies and no one is calling them on it. I think instead of sending soldiers, the UN should send in some shrinks and let them talk about their feelings and their anger management abilities.

kat - ranting is VERRRRY good! :) Hope you are enjoying Cesena.

anne - Well you did say your tummy was getting growly. See how good you are at reading your bodily signs. That is good intuition. :) And bonus for me, we called a draw and you didn't beat my arse in cards. Heehee. :) Ooh - also bonus - you live so close - imagine if you lived just 10 more minutes away... oooh...

3:05 pm, August 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home