Sunday, August 13, 2006

I think I scared the Hat…

Friday I stayed home from work due to the migraine I had had since Tuesday. After Thursday’s fiasco of a math test (and the other 3), Friday had me waking up and feeling not bad until I moved – then I swear the earth actually rolled beneath me and my head woke with a resounding set of hammers. So I managed to crawl downstairs, find the phone and call work to say I was not coming in. Then I crawled back upstairs, downed 2 tylenol and returned to bed after telling D that I was not going to work.

Was that the right thing to do? Yes, cause if I had gone to work, I would have come home in a couple hours probably after reliving my breakfast. However, being me, after sleeping until noon-ish, I got up, watched the end of Resident Evil: Apocalypse while eating breakfast/lunch. Then despite the headache, I started cleaning for D’s party that night. It all started harmlessly – I went downstairs to put a couple of books away in the library and found some suspicious marks on the basement floor, so that lead me to decided that D vacuumed quite poorly and so down came the vacuum which led to me deciding that maybe I would move the furniture around for Halloween now, which led to cleaning the spiderwebs I told you D did a poor job cleaning and I decided to check the sump pump area to see if there were spiderwebs there.

A little back-story here – when the house was purchased, the inspector informed us that the sump pump was broken and we needed to replace it. A year later or so, we bought a replacement and even took it downstairs where it sat for another year or so.

More back-story – for the past year or so, we have been having some odor problems downstairs – not mold (goodness knows after the bathroom fiasco I would know that smell anywhere) – but just an acrid kind of smell – D said it smelled like I had burned a candle recently – which I rarely do downstairs. I febreeze on a regular basis, mainly cause I love the smell – and the air filter machine is down there as well, so while the smell bothered me, I couldn’t find a reason for it and so often just forgot about it until I smelled it again. You see where this is going… right?

So I decide to check the sump pump and pull up the floor where it is located and smoke started creeping out. I open it fully and yes, the motor of the supposedly Broken sump pump is smoking. I quickly unplug the motor and then call D to report my findings. See, here is where we learn Once Again that assumptions are bad – cause silly me, since D was with the inspector when the inspection was done, I assumed that D and the inspector, being smart people, unplugged the machine. Yes - shame on me, cause no, they did not and while I am glad to say that now there are no worries, my house could have burned to the ground. Thank you to the fates above for watching over my silly, assuming head.

Anyway, D came home early and we proceeded to replace the sump pump. However, new sump pump, new regulations, means the plug is a different size and all that stuff. So now we have to chisel the floor to make the hole bigger. Now of course this leads to a discussion about how to do this as D and I rarely agree on how to do things. I conveniently sent D to get some more stuff, while I just did the work and with merely a hammer and a screwdriver I chiseled the hole bigger and we have a beautiful, fully functioning sump pump. Yeah! Yes, I refuse to tell the story of why I am good at chiseling with a hammer and a screwdriver – everyone needs their secrets. And one other point about that is that hammering on the back of a screwdriver in a rather small space does not lend itself in anyway to curing a migraine.

So D and I were running around – okay, truly, I was running around trying to get the house in ‘company’ standard condition and time was passing fast and I wasn’t even ready for me to go out as I had plans for the night as well. I had asked D to take out the garbage to assist me and as is habit for D, 2 bags were taken out and there was one bag left at the back door to go out, despite my request. Now, looking back, I should have just done it and complained later, but I was tired, my head was thumping and we had company in a house, that to me, was not up to standard. So I repeated my request to D who said no, and so I grabbed it to take it out. D grabbed it as well, and I gave my frustrated look and we tussled to see who would win. Of course I did cause I was in the right. But I think our tussling scared a couple of our friends who hadn’t seen us tussle in awhile and thought we were getting abusive. Yeah right, puhlease. Anyway, I made the garbage fit and then I got to go and have a relaxing evening with YaYa where we introduced darhling D to Moulin Rouge.

Saturday, I awoke to just a small thudding in the head, so we went shopping, spent a little bit of money and had A&J over for talking and gaming.

Today, I think the migraine is gone. Goodness I hope so. We did a bunch of little odds and ends around the house and now we’re playing on the computers, wasting some time til supper. I should be working on the Halloween stuff, but I am at a creative standstill on that right now. It is kinda figured out, but not fully, so…maybe later tonight, I will work some more on it.

That is the excitement of my weekend. Been a pretty decent weekend. Got lots done and yet… still so much to do. Heehee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home