Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Authors say Brrrrr, Human beings say Fuckin’ Cold

Oh my goodness, this weather SUCKS! It is sooo cold in my house and even colder outside my house. Let me recount the wonders of my weekend and today to explain...

Friday morning – temperature is –17C, with the windchill, it was –32C. Arghhhh – Despite my overdressing, I froze walking to work. Fully fell this morning as I crossed the extremely ice road in front of a cabbie, however it was that ever so graceful fall onto one knee, with arms extended for perfect posture. Not hurt, but muscles do not appreciate being extended when they are frozen. Fortunately, pity was taken on me and I got a ride home.

Friday night was a wonderful night. The Hat took me out for dinner for my b-day and though I was nervous (I always worry that I won’t have anything to talk about), I think we both had a great time and there was rarely a time of awkwardness or uncomfortable silence, well, maybe when the waitress mentioned for the 3rd time that we were taking a long time to eat, but other than that it was good. We braved the roads for a quick bite at Royal Pizza and then back to my place to just chat.

Saturday, D and I braved the cold and did more Christmas shopping. We finished all but D’s family and one friend. Rockin! Saturday night, milady and I went over to L’s to watch YaYa! That was fun. The most interesting event was that their furnace blew its pilot light. Us girls tried 3 times to get it lit, but no such luck. A call was put in and L was told 24 hours to get someone to look at it. 24 hours when the weather outside was like –32 without windchill. Yikes! Luckily someone showed up at 1am and a small piece was fixed and they have heat again. Thank the lucky stars.

Sunday, D and I braved the cold again as we finally had D’s family’s want list. We got one gift, I think. Then we hunkered down all night, trying to pretend we weren’t freezing.

Monday morning – temperature is –23C, with windchill – 32C. Brrrrrrrrrr! More clothing on, still froze. Monday afternoon, still cold walking home and deep snow had to be shoveled. I gave up after doing half of the back yard and the entire front. Thanks whichever neighbor shoveled my walk that morning, as the snow was not as deep on the city sidewalks. D cheated and brought out the snow blower.

Tuesday morning, wake up, freeze while taking a shower, find out the house is sitting at 60F (which is 15C). Nicer than outside, but since my normal morning temperature is 70F (21C), oh my goodness. Find out the furnace pilot is out. Wondering at this point what higher being I pissed off that they had to have me experience this phenomenon twice within the last few days. Figure out how to start it and it works. Furnace blows for the entire 40 minutes left before I leave. Temperature outside is –40 with the windchill. I have now added a second scarf in addition to my arm warmers, an additional pair of pants, heavy duty ski gloves, long 3/4 length coat, toque and winter hiking boots. Glasses went into a carrying case so I could wear my scarf tight on my face. Eyelashes frosted over, blurring sight even more than the lack of eyeglasses. Frozen by the time I got to work. However, big thanks to the drivers who have graciously stopped for me. I totally appreciate not having to wait in that weather as you drive by in your warm vehicle.

Tuesday afternoon, no pity on me and I bundle up to walk home, enter house to find it at 66F, not the 70F it should be. Pilot light is out again. Once again I get it started and finally 3 hours after I set it up again, the house is finally at 70F. Please Mr furnace – don’t do this anymore. My poor body cannot handle this dreadful weather outside, if I cannot count on my home being warm and cozy. I know I have a spell to encourage the printer to work properly; there must be one for a furnace. If I wake up tomorrow and the furnace has chosen to not work again, I refuse to go to work. I will just have to brave the possible 24-hour wait and get the furnace fixed. I just hope it is an anomaly. Please, please, please.

Also Tuesday afternoon, 3 presents left to get. Then we are officially done our Christmas shopping. Next on the agenda – Christmas cards. Heehee

Currently it is –27C outside and with the windchill it feels like –38F. I don’t think it has been this bad for windchill in years and certainly not for this long. I do not want to find out the temperature for tomorrow. It is rather depressing. Maybe this headache I am fighting will win and I can call in sick and my furnace will work and thus I can hibernate for the day and just veg in warmth. Wouldn’t that be nice? Sighhhh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlfriend,
If you find the furnace pilot light has blown out again, it may be your thermo-coupler. Liz and I had exactly the same problem last year, right on Christmas Eve, and once that was fixed, it worked a charm.

Good luck!

Lulu

10:06 am, November 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home