Saturday, December 10, 2005

Sometimes wanna die

“It’s music to commit suicide to” -A

That is what a friend said on Friday night at Suburbs. I was invited to go, an acquaintance was co-djing and I hadn’t been to Suburbs in over a year so why not? D and I went and while I had an excellent game of pool (that I may not have won, but I had sunk all my balls before the 8 ball was sunk), the music was SO not my music. I had to clarify when A said that “it’s music to commit suicide to” cause it wasn’t – not quite – it was like it was depressing enough to put you in the mood and you might pick up the razor blade and hold it to your wrist, but the music just goes on and there’s no crescendo to finalize the act. So it’s like - music to almost commit suicide to. It was horrid. Our friends had a great time. A bunch showed after us. In the blogs, people said they had an awesome time. D and I left early using D’s work as an excuse and I was thankful that I left.

The acquaintance that djed was good, the transitions were wonderful, (unlike the other guy who had awkward transitions with silence) but I like music with words that are understandable and I like things that are varied. I should not be able to tap my foot to the same beat for over 3 songs. How can you dance to that? How can you enjoy it? To me, it was music that was adequate for a quiet evening with it quietly in the background, to just fill the occasional silence. Like depressing elevator music. Mind you, it was not something I would have chosen at all. And I know the dj usually has a few bands I know. It just seems he picks the B sides (not that there is such a thing anymore).

On a positive note, I now know that I do not EVER need to go to Suburbs again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home