Monday, September 11, 2006

It’s all about me. You should know that.

So here I sit on the computer – wasting time. Thinking that D would be home shortly and I would get some help in digging up the carrots… then D calls. Nope, shift runs late tonight… sighhh… so here I am wasting time when I should be outside, digging up the garden, all alone. Sighhhh…

I had a very vivid dream last night and don’t ask me to explain why Justin Timberlake was a prominent figure in it… but let me say, damn, that boy likes to be dominated. Heehee.

This weekend was a good one, well, it ended up being a good one. Friday afternoon, I developed a migraine and stuck it out at work, only to come home and find that my head was pounding, I was light sensitive and completely nauseous. I am very owly in this state. Thankfully, it broke sometime around 12:20 am that night, so when I got up Saturday, there was only a slight pressure behind my eye. Saturday was a wonderful day shopping with milady after cutting my parents’ hair. Sunday was a great day shopping with D, where I spent way too much at Chapters, got some fun stuff for Halloween at Michael’s and we resisted the call of Dairy Queen as we are both being rather frugal (me especially since my money went to pay for dinner on Friday night as our usual Chinese restaurant has had their credit card machine revoked!) A night of gaming… (oooh, wait til the Hat finds out what he did – and he has some things he needs to do to prep for next gaming)… with a wonderful group of people and Monday morning came way too soon with that very intense and vivid dream of JT.

Work was nice today to some extent because the person helping me out actually appreciates the hard work I put into getting my new position. And the Big Boss stopped by and said Hi and said I was doing a good job on my project, which is always nice.

Hey, milady, can I get my book back? After JT, I am needin’ a dose of Nathaniel.

Anyway, I suppose I should go do the garden – the carrots won’t pick themselves and if I leave them out there, eventually they will grow to be more than 3 inches in diameter and that really is hard to chop into little pieces. It is interesting – Hill planting is really good for carrots. The short carrots have become very wide carrots and the long carrots seem to go on forever. I think I need to pick up one of those nifty cutting machines that makes all the cuts even as that will make freezing soooooo much easier.

Oh – one more thing – today is the 5-year mark of September 11 and the attacks on the USA. This past week there have been lots of shows depicting the event and discussing whether the US and Canada are prepared in case of another such event. I have to say – I don’t think you can ever be ready. We can have plans, which is something I think both countries have worked on. But how can you be ready for an attack that could happen anywhere and anytime? How can you prepare for suicide bombers who value their religious views over life?

What worries me more at this time is not that it will happen again, but rather that Canada has a good chance of becoming a target. One - We have a prime minister who varies between having enough lube for Bush to shove his American hand up Harper’s ass to make the PM talk or being on his knees pulling a Lewinsky. Really, what is it about American presidents that make people so happy to throw themselves and all attached to them at the president’s feet? Two - Canada is involved in a war. We have surrendered our stance as a peacekeeper and we are getting killed for it.

We have given up so much freedom and according to the polls we are satisfied with the sense of safety we get in return. Well, I would like to know who takes these polls, because I have never been asked for my opinion. And I think all of this is bullshit. The airline industry has a steady reputation of losing luggage. So like a lot of people, I have decided that when I travel, I want just a carry on. Except I can’t carry most of the stuff I want to bring on the plane as a carry on, I have to check it or willingly give it up. Now I don’t know about you, but my moisturizer alone is $15 (which really is cheap comparably). And I have a whole skin regime that I follow due to allergies, let alone the shampoos, soaps, etc. So now, this has to go into the checked luggage which means several tens of dollars could very easily get misplaced, let alone the damage those bags take. And I can’t bring water or most medications with me, despite the fact that air on a plane is dry and everyone will tell you to keep your medications in your carry on – in case the luggage gets lost.

What gets me is how easy this comes across as a conspiracy – the airlines stop including food on trips for free. You can buy your drinks and food for a ‘reasonable’ cost – higher than most fast food joints. Airline notices how much people are now bringing cheap fast food items. Suddenly big event happens (coincidence or not?) and no longer can you bring fast food items, water, etc. You can pay for them to store your stuff. You can pay for food and drink on the plane. I mean, really, who suffers here? What safety are we actually receiving? I am not seeing an advantage. I see a very expensive trip and that is before I actually get to my destination. And once I do get there, the odds are good that I may have to replace my clothes, my moisturizers, etc and stuff once I do get there.

What more can be done on the ground? Cause really, if the bomber is smart, you get yourself into the back of the airport or get yourself involved in one of the companies that works with the airlines and you fool around with the items already on the plane or that the airline will bring on the plane. Did nobody think of this? Cause supposedly, security is really tight if you are a customer. But if you work there, you can come and go almost as you please.

Anyway, I have taken several moments this week to remember the events of 9/11 and wonder just what freedoms we must continue to give up so that some random poll out there can show that we feel safe. I can think of so many other ways to make me feel safer and most involve national security and what the federal government needs to do. There is so much information that is available on the web, about so many things including our federal government. Does no one think that maybe we should pull back? That maybe we don’t need to be so transparent? Maybe national defense shouldn’t post pictures on their website showing their weapons and vehicles and showing how they work. Sure, it is cool and neat and educational, but it is also available for anyone and everyone. We can’t really think that those who would work against Canada and the States are computer illiterate and that they would have no searching skills.

Why are we still supporting this “New Government” as Harper refers to in every single article? This government who is not willing to support our national parks, our unique species, our environment, our rights and freedoms, our ability to not melt the nationalities into a pot, but to support and encourage each nationality, our ability to remain a country separate from the States and not become the 51st state, and our pride in being peacekeepers and in being safe because we don’t go to war over oil and insults. I am sure that many of the ministers are doing the best that they can. But I am really disappointed in what we are becoming and in what we are giving up to become this ‘thing’ that Harper sees.

But that is just my views and my thoughts on a much larger topic. To those who meaninglessly died in 9/11 and to all those who have meaninglessly died because events in response to 9/11 – I take a moment to remember and to hope.

...

Okay, must do my chores now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home