Wednesday, September 06, 2006

If I could, this is what I would say.

Thank you for the chance to finally respond and hopefully, be listened to in regards to all the comments being made about me and my position. When I was ‘just the receptionist’ and getting paid the least in the office, everyone was so supportive in that I was doing so much work for so little pay and that people should notice how good I was and pay me more. And I did a lot as ‘just the receptionist.’ I certainly did more than my position required me to. And for the last almost 2 years, I have been alone in that position, unlike when I began and there were 2 receptionists.

People began to notice how good I was and opportunities started to come my way. You were sad when I left and happy when I returned, but the expectations always rose about what you expected of me. Do you remember the fact that when I was being a trainer of the last new program we introduced I was the lowest paid trainer in the group and yet, I was the head trainer and doing more than most of the other trainers? And yet, I did not complain and stop doing what I was doing. I could have made your lives a lot worse. I could have not answered questions at reception and sent them all to you for answers. I could have made up fake names like other offices have done and let you come out and humiliate yourself. I didn’t. I respected you and the work you did and worked my own way up the ladder.

And now, people have definitely taken notice. Some high people in our office have taken notice. And they have decided that I have earned my way to a higher position, which came with more responsibilities. And yet instead of being happy with me, you have impromptu meetings that I am not invited to about me and my ‘new’ position. You all get quiet when I walk by and then whisper my name and what you think. Cause for some reason, 5 feet away around the corner is far enough away that I cannot hear you. Or you insult me to my face and when I try to correct your assumption or increase your knowledge of what I do, you brush me off and diminish what I do and what I say. You would love to be paid what I do and only have 2 projects to do, you say. Hell, so would I. Cause I am quite busy right now, and I am traveling and training and still involved in several other projects that do not allow me to be ‘just the receptionist’ anymore. It is very hard to do the projects I do from a reception desk. I need space, I need time to make and take phone calls and I need time to prepare presentations and make training tools. None of this can happen when I am ‘just a receptionist.’

You don’t see me playing games on the internet, chatting to my family on the phone for a half hour, planning my house reno or taking a half hour or more ‘cigarette’ break (in addition to the two coffee breaks) to grocery shop. I rarely get the chance to just stand around and talk with coworkers to just catch up.

So why don’t you show me a little respect as I have shown you? If you have a problem with not knowing what exactly I do, then talk with me and let me explain to you what my new projects involve. I am doing the best that I can, as I have always done and all I have asked is that someone else help out with reception. In fact, the higher ups have told you to help out at reception. Funny, how when I was doing reception, the job needed to be paid more for all that I did up there, but once you have to do the job, it is beneath your pay level. We are equals now, but you resist that concept. Well, I say, too bad and grow up. The company is changing around us and if you want to stay, then you need to grow and learn new things. And if you are not willing, then shut the f**k up about those that are willing.


And that is what I would say if just one of my coworkers would stop talking long enough for me to get a word in edgewise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home