Thursday, September 14, 2006

Things I have learned

I like being alone when I am in my own house. When I am out of town staying in someone else’s home (a B&B), I feel out of sorts and lonely and bored. And I hate eating alone. I should have brought a book. Maybe next time.

When you stay at a B&B, supposedly the owners expect you to come down and watch TV… or maybe she just thought I looked like a TV watcher. I should have come down since though D tried so hard, Bones did not get taped and now I am behind one show. No David fix this week.

Bloom N Breakfast in Cold Lake is a wonderful B&B, with an excellent breakfast (included) and with a terrific view. Also great walking trails right in front of the inn along the shores of Cold Lake.

Harbour Inn makes a fabulous dinner and dessert. Though I was told the Bailey’s cheesecake was great, I chose to try the key lime one. Mmmmmm. Good choice after a Caesar salad and lasagna. Note – they had, I believe, 6 different cheesecakes, a crème brule (it was coffee based or I would have had that), and a couple of other choices. Don’t let the Coffee Shop sign fool you, these people can cook and have a good selection. If I had not been craving pasta, I would have tried the special Chicken roasted in a fig sauce.

3.25 hours is a looooooooooooooong drive. Thankfully it was home.

Highway 55 between Lac La Biche and Cold Lake SUCKS! There is a lot of construction which means you get to drive 50 and in some areas there is no pavement, they have taken it down to the ground, which means in the rain, you are driving in mud. Thank goodness there were few people traveling around me.

Ford Fusion is a very comfortable car. After the afore-mentioned 3.25 hours, I was not stiff and sore.

The Ford Fusion can go almost 700 km on a full tank of gas. It counts down for you so you will not get surprised either.

A trip to Lac La Biche and then to Cold Lake and back to Edmonton takes you to .25 of a tank and you still can continue driving 200+ km.

My left thumb goes numb when driving for more than 45 minutes. It will not crack and it takes some good pressure and movement to get feeling back. How... odd.

Highway driving while it is daytime and it is raining is very hard on the eyes. I have figured out that highway driving and sunlight do not make me tired. They just make my eyes hurt so much that I know I would feel better if I just closed my eyes. Thankfully, I am smart enough not to do that at 100km/h.

I am still having pessimistic moments. There were several times on the road when I started thinking how easily the car could just lose control and I could die. Talking to a ‘higher’ power is a good thing then and reminds me that I have control of the car and perhaps when those thoughts come, I should slow down.

It is very easy to speed in the Fusion. It is Very hard to drive 60 km/h after driving 100 km/h though as it seems like you are crawling.

100 km/h is just a suggestion to most drivers. 109 km/h is not acceptable to most of them as an alternative either.

I hate passing on two lane highways. I prefer Highway 16, where I can pass, usually, at leisure without worrying about on coming traffic.

One cd is not enough for a 3-hour drive. I am not comfortable switching cds while driving at 100 km/h.

When Justin Timberlake came on the radio, when I finally arrived back in Edmonton and stopped listening to the cd I had been listening to for the prior 3 hours, the first thought that popped into my head was “Damn, that boy likes to be dominated.” Heehee.

Edmonton is Freezing today and a thin sweater that has worked as a long sleeve shirt all summer does not provide adequate protection.

Today was the third time I have filled up a gas tank, by MYSELF, in the past several years. On that note, I miss Full serve gas stations that did not charge any difference in price for that service.

I overpacked. Though if disaster had happened, I was prepared.

If one does not eat ‘fast food’ all that much anymore, one should not splurge and order the ‘usual’ from Taco Time. However, I ate lunch and supper at the same time and aside from 2 pieces of licorice, I have not eaten anything else.

A list is a great way to avoid chores. That being said, I should go finish laundry and then prep the carrots for freezing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Taryn said...

I won't tell you what the beans and brocolli did to D. Pheewee!
:)

9:26 pm, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home