Sunday, July 01, 2007

Happy Canada Day!

So what do y’all do on your Canada Day? So far, D and I have done the following:
Mowed front, back and alley lawns
Weeded both gardens
Set up rain catcher so it can actually be used without worrying about overflow
Washed dishes
Put away two loads of clothes
Cleaned interior of Fridge (I learned that the bottom shelf does come off – didn’t know that before – had the fridge almost 5 years – hmmm)Cleaned interior and behind compactor (was on D’s list for 3 years to do)
Cleaned interior of oven

Not bad eh? Tonight we have some people over for gaming. And that will be our Canada Day. I think it is very Canadian of us for doing what we do. After all, we are a humble folk… Heehee

And yesterday rocked – had a classic Saturday afternoon – I went to the library and took out 38 books (the limit is 40), stopped at 7-11 for a slurpee and some nachos with cheese and then back home to spread out across the floor, in front of the tv, and went through the books I got. And what a collection:
Fantasy/sci fi fiction
Organization
Decluttering
Home repair
Decorating
Being better at Work
Personality types
Punctuation
Self-help
Dieting
Well, you get the drift. It is a varied collection. Should keep me busy for a few weeks. And to that, the recent stop at Chapters where we picked up a few books and yeah, I think I am ready for a relaxing summer. Unfortunately, my holidays are over, which sucks, but there is nothing on tv anyway.

One more thing about facebook – I have been playing with D’s account some more and I really just don’t get the appeal. I must be missing something. Facebook just seems to be like a disconnected series of phrases and pictures and weird activities. At least with a blog, I get a story, well, most of the time. Facebook is like a certain friend’s blog of mine where there are these seemingly random phrases and nothing else. I don’t want the headlines or the punchlines.

A friend of mine is getting cell phones and she wants to ensure it has texting abilities. To me, a phone is a means to talk to a person. It shouldn’t force me to look at words in shorthand and try to discern a meaning. What is so hard about picking up the phone and using it to call someone? Isn’t that what it is for? D has a cell phone, but I do not. It is an ancient thing that despite all the rough abuse works like a dream. It doesn’t do texting. It costs $10 a month to hold the minutes. It is solely for calling when another phone is not convenient. Isn’t that the purpose of a cell phone? I had a client the other day whose phone kept beeping. And he said that he can’t believe how often his friends text him while they are at work – where do they find the time? And I totally get that.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not against technology - I love its convenience, but I really do think we are losing the human connection. I received an email that told me a person had a great time on their holidays and they would blog about it shortly. And all I could think was, but you are writing me now, why don’t you tell me now? I like blogging and telling y’all what exciting things happen in my life or what my latest rant is (like now), but I have no qualms about talking about it via email or in person with you too. Just because I blogged it doesn’t mean I didn’t leave things out or that I’m done with the situation/thought. Just like if you start telling me a story that was on your blog, I am not going to interrupt and say – oh yeah, like on your blog. No, I want to hear you tell me the story now – maybe you’ll add more, maybe your perspective is different now. I want that connection with people.

I love technology because it has opened the world to us. But let us not forget that we are human too and humans need connection. You can only connect so much online. Everyone needs to be touched, emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Let’s not forget to be with people in person.

Anyway, that is my rant for today.

Happy Canada Day, everyone! Reach out and hug someone today and show them your love. And if you grope them while you do it, all the better. Hee hee.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home