Sunday, March 19, 2006

Snow Day!

What a weekend! Friday night, D and I met up with A & J for dinner. We originally planned for Atlantic Trap and Gill, but seeing as there were about 30 people lined up outside the doors to get in, we chose to try Red Lobster as the consensus was for seafood. As a land lover, not my fave choice, but they do have some turf items to eat. Amazingly the wait had us behind 3 other parties and we were seated in no time. A lovely dinner was had, though the steak was not the best steak it could have been. I think they were mad that there was a steak lover in the midst of 3 lobster orders. The conversation was great, as always. As we were driving home, there was a light snow starting, but nothing extreme.

So imagine my surprise Saturday morning, well, afternoon, when I opened the front door to get my paper – if not for the slight indentations were someone (the paper person) had walked at the end of my walk, I would have never known where the sidewalk was. Oh my freakin’ goodness. There went my ideas of calling people to go shopping. The first thought that went through my mind was that it was a snow day – a day to curl in front of the tv, cuddle with someone or something and watch videos while eating comfort food. Alas, we had plans that night so that thought got thrown out. I went through my normal Saturday awakening – prep breakfast/lunch, read the paper, maybe watch a movie – alas, what was supposed to be Bridget Jones’ diary 2 ended up being 2 hours of taped WB filler shows. Joy. So I finished reading the paper and went outside.

2 phone calls to mom, 1 to D and about 30 minutes of swearing, I gave up on the snow blower and decided to do it the old fashioned way – with a shovel. I feel for eastern Canada and Russia with their blizzards, I huffed my way through the front – thank goodness for neighbors who sometime early in the morning had done some of the shoveling, so I only had knee high drifts on my property – city property was only ankle deep. Then to the backyard – a shovel width trail from front gate to door and to the back gate. Screw the rest – D would probably get the snow blower working, and that would finish the backyard. Then the driveway – that day I hated having a double garage and matching double width driveway. I did enough to get D’s car to the garage. When D called to say it was home time, I returned to the driveway to dig out some of the alleyway and some more of the driveway so I knew the car would make it into the driveway and garage. After watching one person get stuck and rev their car so much that the back end rose off the ground, I was a little worried that the car would not even make it in the alley let alone the driveway and gosh forbid, out again to go to the Fuj Memorial. But D returned and made the snow blower work – stupid machine. And we were able to make it to the party with me grabbing the holy shit handles in the car only about three times. Whew!

The Fuj Memorial cribbage tournament was a riot as expected. Lots of good nibblies, lots of good conversation and there were people there that did not participate in Purgatory, so there were no moments when I had to cry out “Enough already!” Unfortunately, C and myself did not maintain our title. While we say that we wanted others to have the joy of housing the cup, in truth, both C and I were exhausted and despite our efforts, the cards were not with us. I think I scored 15 once, 12 four times and mostly 6’s. Not shabby, but certainly not winning scores. The winners this year was the 2 people who had not won a single game at the last memorial, so it was fitting – though I think their innocent act was just that – an act; and in truth, they were sharking us. Heehee.

Sunday arose to the great cheer of “No More Snow – Yeah!” D and I walked to the mall to pick up some groceries. The alleys are terrible and the side roads a horror. And I think the lack of snow all season has led to a shortage of snowplow drivers because the main roads suck as well. Amazingly, most of the people in our area have actually shoveled their walks (trust me – this is truly remarkable) and the walk back (no alley way this time) was much more pleasant. D stopped to help push someone at the corner and the rest of the evening has been spent watching tv and relaxing.

As a bonus, J was gracious enough to show me A’s cravat so that I can adjust my pattern which did not turn out as well as expected and I should have D’s cravat finished sometime this week.

I am dreading taking the bus tomorrow though. I hope the main roads are plowed by then. And I have to remember to give myself extra time to make it to the bus stop, let alone downtown. If I thought it was tough today, I can only imagine how hard it will be with an additional 10 pounds in a backpack weighing me down.

On a domestic front, I must say, my attempt at a month’s menu plan has worked out swimmingly. We have maintained the schedule with our only variations this weekend, but even then, it was easily altered and since I have enough leftovers for the next few weeks, I did not need to make a big meal today for lunches. And I have not picked up a few extras here and there at Safeway like I normally do, thereby saving money as well.

Unfortunately, the rise in leftovers numbers has been due to my training at work. I am currently in training downtown and there is NO lunchroom where we are and so I am buying lunch everyday. While this is wonderful as I have so many people I need to do lunch dates with and I love having new things, it has been terrible to both my wallet and my waistline. Despite easily making my steps for the day, I have not lost any weight. I have started taking the stairs going down instead of the elevator, and I have come up with some cheap meals ideas that I can probably stick with, so hopefully I will either lose weight or continue to maintain. This does not bode well though since rumor has it I may be downtown and without a lunchroom for an additional two weeks minimum. Sighhh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home