Saturday, April 22, 2006

To my friends, I give thanks.

I had lunch today with 2 of my best friends D & L (I have a few best friends – not a ton, but a few friends who I have known for a while and we really know each other. Despite that, or because of it, we still love each other). D made the comment today that she is lucky because she has a really good partner in life who she can talk to. And I think for all of us that is true - we do have someone in our lives that we can talk with and release some of that daily stress that happens. But, for me, I know it is different when I can get together with some of my close friends to talk about life and events and feelings and such.

I find that sometimes, just talking with them makes it seems like everything is okay; I will be able to handle it; and if shit happens, then I know they are there to watch my back. I think sometimes I need to be reminded of that though. I know they are there. I also know they have lives and they are busy and stressed and I don’t want to impose. Getting together with them reminds me that they are there for me just like I am there for them. And I appreciate that. A lot.

In life, we tend to focus so much on our day-to-day lives directly around us that things, and people, get left behind or put to the sidelines. To get together and just be able to talk and opine and think aloud with good friends - that is the bestest stress reliever and connector in the world. Connecting with others is so dang important in this fast food world. We don’t do enough of it. We don’t listen, we don’t talk, we don’t trust. We pull back and hold everything close; all the while hoping someone will push through and just connect with us.

I know, because I tend to hold my cards close to my chest sometimes, and to tell someone something can be a really big deal to me. Trust is probably the hardest thing for me to give. Which is why while I may have a few best friends, these friends are the elite of who I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home