Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother’s Day

To all women out there, I wish a Happy Mother's Day, because goodness knows we are a mother to someone or something – whether it be a significant other, a pet, a child, coworkers or even friends. At some point, we have all helped nurture another being. And for that, best wishes to you all. (And you men out there, don't get your knickers in a panic, you'll have your day next month - then we can discuss your nurturing!)

In other exciting news, the dandelions are gaining in the war. I am hoping that today will have a lot of casualties on the dandelion side, as we have had to proceed with biological warfare after the individual skirmishes resulted in a severe defeat for us. I hope the bunnies are not upset by the measures we have had to take and there are no disturbances with their force.

Speaking of bunnies, as D and I were walking around our neighborhood the other night, we found a little cul de sac area that had 8, yes, count them 8, bunnies settling down for a good munch. Around our block, I know we have a couple, but 8? My goodness. And today, the paper taught us that bunnies often desert their young for long hours before returning with some food. This is because they know that they are prey and so by keeping away, they are actually saving the bunnies from death, even though sometimes the young die of starvation. Huh – interesting.

I made a frittata one night. I have decided that while it is a visually appetizing dish, in fact, I do not like it. Maybe my recipe was just not a good one, but the veggies were hardly cooked and the eggs were undercooked. Not the resounding success I desired. Now, it could be because I have never had a frittata before and maybe it is supposed to be like that. If so, not interested. Indeed, I tossed the recipe into the recycling the next day. Sorry folks. The bonus out of making the frittata is that I bought a ham for the frittata and so on Wednesday I had the wonderful comfort food of leftover ham, scalloped potatoes and cream corn. Mmm-mmmm!

Have you ever had a friend that you didn’t want to share with anyone? You just get along with them so great that you don’t want to chance the possibility of ruining it by introducing them to your friends? I have a couple friends like that. I also have a couple blogs like that. Often when I am bored, I will blog surf. Especially fun in blogger cause they have that nifty next blog button just at the top right – go ahead and look – it has always been there. You can find some interesting blogs there. Same with their log in screen where they scroll recently updated blogs. I would love to eventually be on the blogs of note, but really, who looks at that stuff other than me? Heehee. Anyway, I have come across several blogs that I now visit on a regular basis. Sometimes, I pass info I learned from them on. I had a friend the other day ask where I got the info and I was totally hesitant from telling her. In fact, I didn’t tell her the specifics, just that I got it from someone's blog. I don’t know the person in the blog personally, but it is like the blogger and I have this intimate relationship because none of my other friends know of them, as far as I know. And I like that. I like that I don’t have to worry about others reading the blog and commenting on it. I can just enjoy it for what it is. I feel like if I share it, not only will I have to deal with the harsh opinions from my friends (the blogger likes Britney Spears as well), but someone might someday say something that will change the way I read the blog and that I do not want. So for now, me and the blogger have a nice intimate relationship that I hide from my friends – maybe it’s dirty, maybe it’s bad for me, but it is all mine, baby.

In other news, have I mentioned that I am a bad Edmontonian? I really don’t care if the Oilers win and if people continue the behavior they have been taking the last two times we have won, I will actually start hoping the Oilers lose. Ha, take that. But seriously, rioting and stabbing people because the Oilers are tied in a playoff match? It is not the most important game yet people. And for god’s sake, it is just a game. What is it with people lately that the only thing they seem to get excited about to excess is a hockey game? It is a game played by men who should have grown up by now, who get paid mega-money to hit a black puck. How does this help society? How does this even matter in the grand scheme of things? Our need for entertainment and our seemingly lack of ability to entertain ourselves is truly pathetic. Don’t get me wrong; I am certainly not advocating we get rid of all excess entertainment. Goodness knows I was upset when Buffy was cancelled. But I think the year off of hockey we had was the best year yet. People found other things to entertain themselves, whether it is junior hockey, soccer or even – hanging out with their friends and family – gasp! But to riot over a hockey game – not even a game that would have had in or out consequences – it just tied us 2-2 with the sharks. Come on. What are you going to do if they beat the sharks? What is bigger than rioting and injuring people? I really don’t want to find out. Go home people and celebrate any victory quietly in your house with your friends and family. Keep it off the streets and keep it violence free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home