Saturday, January 05, 2008

But I am only mean to people who tell me to be nice

So I am avoiding filing… again. I did clean up a part of my desk before I started this. And today, I cleaned D’s closet, because cleaning someone else’s junk is much more fun that doing my own. It is a very organized closet now – I even color-coded the t-shirts. Heehee. All so I could avoid what I was planning on doing today, or what I could have done – no long walks to get my step count, no scraping the driveway (it’s D’s turn anyway), no doing the filing, no cleaning my closet (oh my goodness, you do NOT want to know the mess that it is – I still haven’t cleaned it from when I shoved a bunch of stuff in there to hide when the windows were being done) and certainly no cleaning. I have this pile of filing that I do want to get all organized and I have had it for about 2.5 years and still I avoid it. I know when I go through it, I will feel so happy and accomplished and so much will get tossed, but it’s just that kick to get started.

Did you know that all my calendars are totally cheating this year? Every single calendar that is a page-a-day calendar has combined the weekends to one slot. How cheap! Even my horoscope one, like I am supposed to believe that the same prediction covers both days. Puh-lease. (You know I am only kidding about taking it that seriously right?!?) That just bites!

Funny thought as of late – I have realized that I have surrounded myself with a lot of people who are into a variety of beliefs and have a lot of abilities and yet, I can’t commit myself to anything specific. If I turn around, I can see my shelf with all of my tarot cards, runes, Wicca books, and astrology. So many books, so many wants to learn something new and yet so many of these books are unopened. Some of them I just need to look at or touch and instantly I get something from the book. I have one book I bought about energy vampires – it was at a time when I felt like people were draining me and when I was in Chapters, the book just called me. I have yet to open the book, but when I see it, I instantly feel balanced again. There are books on learning to read auras – still haven’t figured it out. Books on how to read the tarot – I still need to the books to help decipher the meaning of the cards. I guess, it is like I know that I have some ability in something, I just haven’t figured it out yet and the books show that I keep trying to find it, whatever it is.

Alrighty, before I actually get started on the filing (Sighhhh), I just want to leave you with this rant that has been going through my head recently…

So when is the federal vote going to be called? Harper has enough time to show Canadians that he doesn’t care about our country, that really all he wants is to be the lap dog of Bush and he will do anything to ingratiate himself towards that disappointment. The Bali conference has come and gone, and really, nothing was really said about it. Off the top of my head, the only thing I can remember is how Canada was siding with the States and not upholding its responsibilities as stewards of this nation. There was no talk about how Canada was going to be responsible and actually take action. In fact, I believe there were some comments about how Baird was obstructing talks and talking horseshite out the side of his mouth, as he was more apt to complain about China than to take the blame that rests on his shoulder as Canada’s environment minister. I mean, for goodness sake dude, we know that China needs to come aboard because their rate of industrialization is astronomical and their level of pollution is horrendous. But have you looked at Canada recently? Have you flown across the northern part of the provinces and seen the devastation from mining, oil production and logging? Sure the pine beetles are doing their harm, but it has been proven that the change in climate is part of the blame and what has caused the climate change? Sure, companies say they are doing reclamation on old sites, but how do you restore an environment when you have stripped so much from it? The animals are gone, the soil has been changed, and nothing natural has happened to encourage the environment to want to return. How can we expect China to change when the US and Canada are doing so little to protect the environment?

Sure some places in Canada have taken a stand on certain things – Edmonton has just stated that all new construction and major renovations will require low flow faucets and showerheads and 6L or less toilets (finally). However, if you are just replacing the toilet and the faucets, but not renovating the whole bathroom, you can still use the old standards. If you talk to a lot of people though, so many are already changing over to low flow, if only for the few pennies back in the pocket from utility savings. I have installed my two dual flush, 6L toilets and I love them. I needed to replace the toilets anyway and they cost about the same as a decent ‘standard’ toilet, so why wouldn’t I?

California has been developing the strictest standards regarding the environment (go Arnie!), but has been refused again by the US government to be allowed to regulate vehicle emissions of carbon dioxide. Supposedly, Bush’s measures that are being introduced will be yield better results. Sure it has been signed in as a law, but when will it actually be implemented? However, again, it only affects new vehicles. Sure it will lower the emissions coming from the new vehicles (and I am sure California has a high number of new cars being bought each year), but what about the junkers still on the street? One only has to drive down any major thoroughfare in Edmonton to see how many cars are not new and expel tons of carbon dioxide, let alone oil, rust and other disgusting things. What are we doing to get rid of these? But still I say go California (they are taking the US government to court over this decision)! Maybe we need Arnie to show what a “man he is” (say it with Arnie’s accent – you know you want to) to Harper to get Harper to switch allegiances. Maybe if Harper is sucking California, then something will be done in Canada.

I grew up being told that we are stewards of our nation, it is one of the things that Canada is so good at. I was so proud when we signed the Kyoto. But our politicians just keep showing us that they are good at promising us so much, but then action nothing. We may not have been able to meet the Kyoto measurements, but at least, we could have tried. At least, we could have stood with our heads high and say, we did our best and we will continue to try our best and though this time we didn’t succeed, next time, we will exceed our expectations. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to be proud of something?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home